Skip to content

Stock permits

There are four classes of stock permits, as outlined under the Local Land Services Act 2013:

  • walking stock permit
  • grazing stock permit
  • roadside grazing stock permit
  • routine stock movement permit.

Walking stock permit

This type of permit is used for long-distance travel by travelling stock walking from one region to another. Local stock may also use this type of permit in times of drought to travel throughout the region.

Grazing stock permit

This is generally issued to the landholder adjoining an enclosed Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR) for use over an extended period. It is a condition of the permit that travelling stock are still permitted to access the TSR.

Roadside grazing stock permit

This type of permit is issued for a short period of time over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. It is also normally issued to the landholder adjoining the area as there are no watering facilities and so stock are moved back to the property at night.

Routine stock movement permit

These permits apply to routine movements of stock between two or more properties owned or occupied by the same person and are therefore issued to local stock owners annually.

Obtaining a permit

To obtain a stock movement permit, contact us on 1300 795 299. Permit fees may vary according to region, so talk to your local office before sending in your application form.