Grazing management for the southern Monaro
11 April 2016
The opportunity for Monaro land managers to participate in the highly regarded PROGRAZE® course is here.
South East Local Land Services is finalising a PROGRAZE® group to be based in the southern region of the Monaro, with the first session to commence on Monday, 23 May.
Senior Land Services Officer, Jo Powells said the course is designed to help producers develop skills in pasture and animal assessment and then use these skills to improve the productivity and sustainability of their grazing systems.
“PROGRAZE® is presented over a series of eight half-day workshops that are usually held four to six weeks apart across a 12 month period to capture the seasonal variations in pasture and animal production,” Ms Powell said.
“The course uses a hands-on approach. The workshops are conducted on group members’ farms with a strong in-paddock approach.”
Participants will be assisted to develop their skills in:
· visual pasture assessment for pasture quality and quantity
· understanding how pasture quality and quantity impact on animal production
· assessing livestock fat scores
· using pasture and livestock assessments to match pastures to livestock requirements
· using grazing management to improve the productivity and sustainability of pastures
· using fodder budgeting to make the best use of pastures and fodder crops
· using pasture assessment to make supplementary feeding decisions
· using grazing management to help control worms.
“The course is suited for all producers – new land managers with only small livestock numbers, through to long term graziers managing multiple livestock ventures,” Ms Powell said.
“A recent survey of past PROGRAZE® participants found that 87 per cent indicated participation in the course had resulted, or would result, in improved financial returns to their farm. In addition, 96 per cent indicated that their participation in the course had resulted, or would result, in improved productivity and stability of pastures on their farm.”
PROGRAZE® is subsidised by South East Local Land Services. The cost of the course is $400 per farm business.
Contact Jo Powells, Senior Land Services Officer – Pastures on (02) 6452 1455 or email Jo.Powells@lls.nsw.gov.au to register your interest and take advantage of this great opportunity.
Media contact: Jo Powells, 02 6452 1455 or 0429 785 986