Have a plan for the season ahead
Helen Smith, Agriculture Advisor
With a very tough winter behind us and a neutral spring-summer outlook from the Bureau of Meteorology (updated fortnightly at www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks) livestock managers are reminded to have a plan for the coming months.
Key points to consider:
- will you have enough water for all your animals?
- what pasture will be available
- feed all animals correctly - they may need more than you realise and grain might be the best way to meet energy demands
- wean earlier than normal to reduce feed demands
- sell animals
- monitor outlooks and rainfall: plan key decision points and be prepared to make decisions.
Remember to look after your personal health and well-being during challenging times. Further information on support services can also be found on DroughtHub.